Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reflection #8

The events of this week convinced me that I am so incredibly fortunate to attend American and participate in UC World Politics. Of course this had never been a question in my mind; it has now simply become solidified in the aftermath of operatic spectacle, erratic games of Risk, and a visit from a friend back home. My friend Reid has had a much more tumultuous transition to college life than I have, due to a myriad of unfortunate circumstances (rooming with hostile sophomores, a lackluster class schedule, "temporary" friends). Hosting him at American forced me to realize that everyone isn't quite so lucky when it comes to finding a post-secondary school match. Reid was amazed by our floor; I've told him countless stories about Letts 6 (all good things, of course!), but I don't think he quite believed me when I told him what a unique, fantastic dynamic we have. It shocked him that people left their doors open, shared food and ironing boards , and baked cakes to celebrate birthdays. He couldn't believe that we played a board game in class and made it applicable to the workings of the world beyond our campus. He envied the fact that I can hop on the metro to listen to protestors outside the White House, explore the Library of Congress, or hear an opera in German. This may be due to the fact that I'm living in the nation's capital and he's living in upstate New York. However, I also think this wanderlust and constant adventuring is inspired by American's encouragement (and the occasional mandate) that we venture beyond Ward Circle and Tenleytown. Our university, and SIS especially, constantly reminds us that we're not merely students stuck behind book bindings, learning about the way people live and clash and collaborate. We are an integral part of that structure, and will play an even greater role once we relinquish the title of student. I think that mutual recognition between students and faculty at American is my favorite part of life here, and something that other schools may lack.

No comments:

Post a Comment