Sunday, October 31, 2010

Reflection 10

This weekend was certainly an exciting weekend for many people, myself included. I’m not a big Halloween-celebrating person, but I very much enjoyed trick or treating on Embassy Row. It was fun to participate in a tradition that is distinctly DC. I liked that some embassies invited the trick-or-treaters in, but I wish that more embassies had given out candy from their country, or had some information about their country. Korea was the only embassy I went to that had international candy, and they paired it with music and an exhibit. Overall, it was a fun couple of hours to spend in the city.

The other (probably more exciting, in my opinion) event this weekend was the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear, hosted by Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. The fact is, I am such a huge fan of those two that I would have loved the rally regardless of what happened. But, having also gone to Glenn Beck’s Rally to Restore Honor in August, it was extra fun to see Stewart and Colbert openly parody Beck’s gathering. However, I think the crowd was my favorite part. When looking back on my pictures from Beck’s rally, I honestly saw nothing except for white people. Beck’s rally focused on a specific demographic, for better or for worse. The Stewart/Colbert rally, however, had a more diverse mixture of people. It was nice to see a variety of people come together for a fun event.

Basically, I loved this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment