Sunday, October 10, 2010

Reflection 7

The simulation was not what I expected it to be. In all of our preparation and talking and brainstorming, I did not anticipate the stressful situation that followed having someone try to break down the basic tenets of our proposition. As part of the Sierra Club, we took a little different approach than what would have normally been expected, because we had a focus on preserving American jobs and preserving the environment at the same time. We were able to back up our claims with actual facts, which adds credibility, but extemporaneously speaking has never been my forte, and probably never will be. The preparation that went into my concluding speech seemed a little lost on me it was pointed out that we took the most unconventional approach possible for the Sierra Club.

However, I enjoyed having the opportunity to apply theory and fact together and come up with a solution to a problem that could actually present itself to the US government. Learning about the diesel and hybrid models out there and comparing/contrasting the two offered insight I didn’t know would be so useful, but I discussed it with my dad (who candidly already knew everything I thought I could teach him) and it was nice to learn about something that I never really took the time to explore before. The president made an interesting comment about “multi-modal literacy”, and how in 2050, if we’d want to know how to present our ideas...we’d have to become completely fluent in multi-modal literacy. I thought this was a really eloquent way of putting something that talks about a constantly mutable and changing society that is garnering different techniques to reach new audiences in different ways. This speaks to our World Politics class, as Skyping via classroom is actually a viable option. All in all, I think that the minor simulation taught me several things; how camera shy I am, what kind of adrenaline rush you get from having exactly 2 minutes to talk about something you know you can ramble on for hours about, and putting yourself in a pressurized situation and coming out just fine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment