Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reflection 8

Diplomatic Risk was an excellent “lab experience”. I think that the strategy involved apt use of several theories and collaborative work with other Heads of State, and the transfers of power showed realistic negotiations that would have taken place had it been an actual coup. I was on the red team, and we were really thrown off by the creation of the brown state and the transfers of land and forces that happened when the yellow state was kicked to the lonely island of Papua New Guinea. Because we’ve been learning about all these theories involved in International Relations and the way that a constructivist/realist/liberal would act in certain situations, it was interesting to see that no country really follows any theory to the letter. Often times what I saw was a blend of all three theories and no real general disregard for other nations. The movement from alliance to neutrality to war was very realistic as it was precipitated when the blue state hegemon waged war. Although wars are surely determined by much more than the roll of dice, I believe that so many factors in war are actually left to chance that certainly impact the outcome of a war and how troops are affected.

Salome was also a great experience for me. It’s a little known fact that I’ve sang opera for about 8 years and have performed, so going to the opera and being in the audience was one of the coolest things for a change in perspective. I thought that the story line was a little weird and kind of crazy, because Salome herself seemed to be a little troubled, but other than that, but from a performance perspective- I thought that the entire thing was executed fabulously. The talented actors and actresses were convincing and had beautiful voices, and I stayed engaged the entire time. I was thankful for the great seats we got, right in the orchestra section, because that definitely allowed me to see things that seats further back couldn’t (like the actual blood like substance that kept being flung around from the prophet’s head). Some of the German jokes were lost on me, because I didn’t understand until later the pun between Tetrarch and Tetrarsh...but the dramatic aspects of the opera made it an experience that I never will forget. The Kennedy Center is certainly a gorgeous venue and I will always love attending swank functions that allow me to get really dressed up and join members of society who do this kind of thing on just a regular Tuesday night. I hope to do it again sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment