Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reflection 15

It’s hard to believe that this semester is already over. It feels like it has just started, but it is hard to deny that I have learned a lot both in World Politics and in my other classes.


I feel like I learned a lot especially in World Politics. It was helpful not only in learning about IR theory (which will only help me more as I continue at AU, because I’m in SIS) but I also thought the structure of the class provided a good learning environment, too. The discussions were very enlightening, because it allowed me to consider points of view that I had not previously given thought. Despite enjoying this phase of the class, I am very excited that it is over so I can begin working on the research project next semester. I am excited about our group’s topic and I am really looking forward to putting the project together.


Even though I have learned a lot in the class as it has progressed, since receiving the essay topic I keep revisiting our first blog entry. I wrote that the economy is the main issue in world politics. I still agree that it is a very important issue that affects all countries, but I am hesitant to say that it is the most important issue, so I doubt my final essay will be about this topic. I definitely have to do some thinking for the final, and figure out what I believe, because if nothing else this class this class has shown me that there is no one right answer in world politics.

5 comments:

  1. Kate,

    I am glad you enjoyed the class. You were always so cheerful in the room after class, so I am glad you liked it as opposed to not liking it.

    But in all seriousness, I completely agree with your point in the last paragraph. I keep looking at my first blog post in which I noted the most important issue in World Politics was overpopulation. But now I am not sure. I too, have to do a lot of thinking.

    Kate, on a different note, did you enjoy Horizons? I never talked to you about it seriously, and I would like to know your opinion one sci fi fan to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    I did enjoy Horizons. I had issues with how it was written (particularly with the numerous grammatical errors, which often took me out of the story. But that is a little nit-picky, I will concede) but I thought that the ideas presented in it were very fascinating. I particularly liked the structure of the futuristic world, how the World Council had striking similarities to the United Nations. The book, for me, was just a really fascinating look at a possible future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,

    Nice points. One of my favorite back of the book was the story involving Koi and his family. No one on Earth would accept him or his family because they were "different". Even though this is a futuristic story, we can see this today. All throughout the World we see examples of discrimination against people who are "different", just like Koi.

    Over break I watched a movie called Splice in which these two scientists clone a human/animal hybrid named Dren and raise her like their daughter. I mean this is a totally different case, but they knew that they could never show her to the public because people are uncomfortable with the idea of something different than themselves.

    I think that this is a sad concept that we cannot accept people (or other beings) for themselves and discriminate all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,

    Going back to all of our discussions and issues that we talk about, did you notice that a lot of it often goes back to the subject of the economy and a country's wealth? I kinda felt like it did, for the most part. The economy might not be the biggest issue in the world, but I feel like it factors a lot in all the other issues. Unfortunately, we live in a world where nothing gets done if there is no money involved in it. One may argue that world hunger is the biggest issue in world politics but without money, we can't provide money for them right? Some times I wonder if it's possible for us to provide aid or deal with any global issue without having money accounted in it. To provide aid for free, you know what I mean?

    Gare Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gare Bear,

    I agree that we often considered the economy when we were discussing other issues. The economy is important to nearly every decision made in the world, it seems, because money is required for every issue. I don't think it will ever be free to provide aid. Even if the aid you're providing is purely humanitarian, like education, the people who educate still need money to live on, so they need to be paid. Your example of world hunger needs aid in multiple areas. The food needs to be bought, shipped, and delivered in some means to the people. That all required a large amount of funds.

    ReplyDelete